Saturday, January 15, 2011

it is nice to remember how great 'Amelie' is!

Yesterday night was impossible to sleep, thanks to mom's health condition. So i decided to watch a movie with her thinking that it may help her calm down and sleep. Well, it didn't work the way i imagined. On the other hand, it worked for me to remember the movie Amelie by  Jean-Pierre Jeunet and get rid of all the annoying feelings i associated with it because i had to listen to its soundtrack million times at the design studio during university. I have totally forgotten how good that movie is.



Everything about it is so unique and shows signs of genius minds. I don't know where to begin and what to point out. I guess, better start with the topic.

I loved it cause how Amelie helps people is so poetic; very personal and well thought without showing off and waiting for an appreciation. She does that because she wants to. It was nice to see how she figures out and plans how to help each character. I don't think they were predictable so the movie was flowing as you watched. I also loved how Amelie turned out to be the way she is, a good person, despite all the negative things happened during her life, especially despite her lonely childhood and the dramatic death of her mother. It was inspiring to see that it also is in our hands to define our personality.

I think the characters were so original and also realistic. And how each character was introduced to the audience was one of the elements i loved most: This is X, she likes this and that, and dislikes this and that. The images explaining these statements were so striking as well. This kind of introduction was so direct and effective for the audience to comprehend the essence of each character.

Speaking of images, the atmosphere created and the photographs were so captivating. I loved the use of various flowing images in illustrating a mind thinking on something. I also loved the transitions in the movie: between reality and fantasy, and between slow and fast shoots.

When it comes to the audio, I have always loved hearing a narrator in French in movies. Every language has a melody i believe, and i especially love French and Spanish, though i don't understand them. It is a perfect element for me to feel a connection to the movie i am watching. Thank god that it was so dominant in Amelie cause as i mentioned i am really fed up with the soundtrack :)

I guess i covered the major elements i loved. i seriously recommend all to watch at least once in a year :)

2 comments: